What is Mind?
“Mind is the set of faculties responsible for all mental phenomena. Often the term is also identified with the phenomena themselves. These faculties include thought, imagination, memory, will, and sensation” …Wikipedia
Mind is referred to as that which is responsible for one’s feelings and reasoning, the mechanism of thoughts or aspect of intellect and consciousness experienced as combinations of thought, emotion, perception, imagination, will, memory and including all other reflex acts.
State of the mind
This simply means your mental or emotional condition in a given period of time.
Have you noticed that the state of your mind is not the same always? Hence at some time you’re just calm, happy and peaceful and next you’re become anxious and worried.
You might have decided on a certain stuff and be very sure about it then later find your mind in a confused state concerning the very thing you were previously so clear and certain about.
What is the state of your mind NOW?
The mind will either be filled with positivity or negativity at a moment
Currently my mind is in reasoning and dialogue state typing this piece likewise you are reading this, and your mind is not in a negative state as you read though sometimes you find yourself not happy with virtually everything and everyone at that moment.
…”But we have the mind of Christ (the Messiah) and do hold the thoughts (feelings and purposes) of His heart”. 1 CORINTHIANS 2:16
For the numerous benefits of positive thinking, we must learn to deal with the abnormal thinking patterns immediately they set in. Choose to think more productive possibilities always.
Benefits of positive thinking
Positive thinking can reward you with better health and productivity:
- Elongated life
- Improved physical and mental health
- Minimal chances of feeling depressed
- Optimum resistance to sickness and diseases
- Minimized effects of distress and pain
- Lower risk of death from cancer
- Lower risk of death from infections
- Reduced risk of death from respiratory conditions
- Cope better in periods of stress and economic downtime
Thinking negatively could be the reason for your migraine, anxiety or prolonged aches which you might’ve been wrongly accusing sickness or diseases. Pessimism have got severe effects not only on your emotional health, but your overall health and person.
A study has found that people with high levels of negativity are mostly affected with degenerative brain diseases, cardiovascular problems, indigestion, and such persons are relatively slow in responding to treatments when they eventually fall sick compared to those with positive mindsets.
What are the Causes of Negativity?
Always or mostly thinking negatively may be caused by personality issues, illness, substance abuse, poor economic status, insecurity, depression etc.
Like other things in life, thinking negatively also can easily become a habit hence causing the brain to distort the truth and make it even more difficult to break the negative cycle.
The good news is that habits can be broken; experts maintained that it takes about 21 days to break out from an accustomed usual norm.
For instance, a suspicious, judgmental and critical mindset should be considered a bad norm for a normal person.
What do negative people do? (Characteristics of negative mindset)
* Give Excuses: Always source for excuses, and blaming others for their challenges and failures, coupled with a feeling that they’re victims of life’s unfairness.
* Filters: Mostly focuses on the bad (negative attributes) only, even in occasions that’s supposed to be some exciting experiences and memories.
* Cynic: Barely believe anyone and their intentions (general distrust).
* Hostile: Generally, not being very friendly with others; No interests in developing healthy relationships.
* Thinks in Polarized manner: Always believing whence something or someone is not perfect, then they must be horrible; but in reality, there’s no perfection.
* Jumping to Conclusions: Always assuming something bad happens due to the contemporary phenomena.
* Emotionally analyzing situations: Use their emotions to qualify what is real and what is not.
* Want instantaneous rewards: Expect rewards or recompense in every little thing they do hence heaven rewards their hard work and sacrifices. When the rewards seem not coming as expected, they become bitter and depressed.
Positive thinking doesn’t mean that you ignore life’s unpleasant situations or challenges. It just means that you approach unpleasantness in a more positive and productive way.
In your mind always think the best is going to happen, not the worst. But however, it is you try to focus on the positive side of any situation, find best approaches to tag on.
Finally, try all you can to liberate yourself from procrastination hence being free from thus ailment called procrastination will go a long way in helping to dominate your mind with positive thinking.